Potatoes – 1/2 kg, long ones, peeled
Mustard Oil – 1 cup
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Grind to a Paste:
Garlic Cloves – 8
Ginger – 1 tbsp
Green Chillies – 4 to 5
Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp
1. Wash the potatoes and cut diagonally into 6 inch pieces.
2. Wash once more and soak in cold water.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the fenugreek seeds.
4. Once they crackle, add the drained potatoes.
5. Add turmeric powder and stir.
6. Add salt and cook over a high flame stirring once or twice.
7. Avoid breaking the pieces.
8. Once the outer coat of the potatoes is firm and evenly coloured to light brown, drain excess oil, if any.
9. Add the ground paste, cook over a low flame for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. The paste does not have to be brown, only cooked.
11. By this time the potatoes too will be reddish.
12. Serve hot.