Chow Chow Kootu (or Chayote Squash Kootu) is a popular South Indian kootu variety served with hot rice and pickle.
This kootu is a simple and delicious dish and can be served as a side to any meal. Common in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka households, it is a great side dish for chapati and perfect for those kids who do not like vegetables.
Chow Chow Kootu Recipe
Ingredients for Chow Chow Kootu
- 1 cup Chow Chow (Chayote Squash) peeled, chopped
- 1/4 cup Toor Dal
- 2 tsp Coconut grated
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- as per taste Salt
- 3 tsp Oil
- a pinch Asafoetida Powder
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
How to make Chow Chow Kootu
- Wash, drain and cook the toor dal with turmeric powder until mushy.
- Keep aside until required.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the tempering ingredients for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped chow chow, green chillies, ginger and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Stir well and add the dal.
- Add cumin powder and salt.
- Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Stir well and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the grated coconut and stir once or twice.
- Serve hot with rice.