Chow Chow Kootu (or Chayote Squash Kootu) is a popular South Indian kootu variety often served with hot rice and pickle. Simple, healthy and delicious, it can also be served as a side to any meal.
Chow Chow (Chayote) – 1 cup, peeled, chopped
Toor Dal – 1/4 cup
Coconut – 2 tsp, grated
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp
Green Chillies – 1 tsp, finely chopped
Ginger – 1/2 tsp, minced
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Curry Leaves – few
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
1. Wash, drain and cook the toor dal with turmeric powder until mushy.
2. Keep aside until required.
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Fry the tempering ingredients for 30 seconds.
5. Add the chopped chow chow, green chillies, ginger and a pinch of turmeric powder.
6. Stir well and add the dal.
7. Add cumin powder and salt.
8. Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of hot water.
9. Stir well and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
10. Add the grated coconut and stir once or twice.
11. Serve hot with rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !