Ginger Cubes – 6 one inch pieces
Rice Flour – 1 tsp
Gingelly Oil – 1/2 cup
Green Chillies – 2
Coriander Seeds – 1 tblsp
Dry Red Chillies – 8
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Tamarind – the size of a lime soaked in 1 cup water
Sugar or Jaggery – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
For the Seasoning:
Gingelly Oil – 1 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/8 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2, halved
Curry Leaves – few
1. Crush ginger and squeeze out the juice.
2. Dredge the ginger shreds in the rice flour and fry in 1/4 cup gingelly oil with green chillies.
3. Remove and grind coarsely.
4. Set aside.
5. Over a low flame, roast the coriander seeds, red chillies and fenugreek in 1/2 tblsp gingelly oil.
6. Grind to a smooth paste.
7. Extract juice from the tamarind.
8. Add to the shredded fried ginger, ground masala and salt.
9. Keep on fire and bring to boil.
10. Simmer till the gravy thickens.
11. Then add the jaggery or sugar and simmer for a few minutes more.
12. Fry the ingredients for seasoning in 1 tblsp hot oil and add to the gravy.
13. Serve as a side dish to rice, pulao.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !