Onions – 2
Green Chillies – 2
Fresh Coriander – 2 cups
New Potatoes – 450 gms
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Vegetable Oil – 4 tblsp
Dried Red Chillies – 2
Curry Leaves – 6 to 8
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onion Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Nigella Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice – to taste
Salt as needed
1. Chop the onions and chillies finely and coarsely chop the coriander.
2. Scrub the potatoes under cold running water and cut them into small pieces.
3. Boil the potatoes in water with a little salt and 1/2 tsp of the turmeric for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain the potatoes well then mash them and set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the dried chillies and curry leaves until the chillies are nearly burnt.
5. Add the sliced onions, green chillies, fresh coriander and remaining turmeric to the pan, add the asafoetida, cumin, mustard, onion, fennel and nigella seeds. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
6. Fold in the potatoes and add a few drops of water. Cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring well to ensure the spices are evenly mixed.
7. Add lemon juice to taste and serve immediately.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !