6 medium sized Brinjals
1 cup Curd
3 Green Chillies
1/4 inch piece of Ginger
1 clove Garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
some Curry leaves
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Chop the green chillies finely, jullienne the ginger and slice the onions.
2. In a large bowl, beat the curd with a teaspoon of salt and keep aside.
3. Cut the brinjals into long strips. Make a mixture of salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Coat the brinjals with the mixture.
4. Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry the brinjal pieces. Remove and keep aside.
5. In another kadai, heat a little oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add cumin seeds, ginger julliennes, green chillies, onion garlic and curry leaves. Fry them for some time.
6. Temper the beaten curd with the fried ingredients.
7. Slip the fried brinjals into the tempered curd and let them soak the flavours.
8. Serve with rice or pulao.
Doi Begun (Fried Brinjals in Curd)