There is a reason why certain fruits are seasonal and show up only during the hot summery days. While watermelon is the most likely fruit to pop into our mind, pineapple is not far behind. Likewise, in India, Lassi is another way to cool down and allow the body some respite from the heat. What if both these blessings are clubbed together to make a super whopper called Pineapple Lassi?
Pineapple is a heady fruit with a divine aroma. Prickly on the outside, a ripe fruit contains tons of Vitamins C & A alongside antioxidants. Rich in fibre, great for the skin and appetite, the fruit is so versatile that it is used in many different ways – to the extent where the outer shell is also creatively used as a make-shift jar for some cool mojitos. Try out this fruit as jams or in cakes and as a salsa dip.
Lassi is a popular Indian drink made from Yoghurt or dahi, rich in vitamin C and pro-biotics and a perfect concoction to beat the heat. Mixing a fresh fruit makes this drink all the more creative and avoids the addition of extra sugars which doesn’t help the body in any way. Add 1 tsp of curd/yoghurt to a pot of warm milk and leave it overnight. Refrigerate it until ready for use. Alternatively, if you don’t have curd, add some live cultures of bacteria (lactobacillus) that will ferment the milk & convert it into gut-friendly probiotic curd.
Use this yoghurt along with a bit of milk and fresh pineapple pieces to make a delicious Pineapple Lassi.
Ingredients for Pineapple Lassi
- 2 cups Pineapple Chopped
- 1 cup Yogurt Chilled
- 1/2 cup Milk Chilled
- 4 tbsp Sugar or Honey
- Salt a pinch
- 8 tsp Desiccated Coconut optional, for garnish
How to make Pineapple Lassi
- Heat a pan under medium flame.
- Roast the coconut until golden brown. Remove from pan and keep it aside.
- Add the pineapple pieces, half the quantity of sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Cook until the sugar is melted and the pineapple pieces are cooked soft. Remove the pan from flame and cool it down.
- Take a blender/mixie jar and add this mixture along with the remaining sugar, milk, curd and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the lassi to a mug and serve chilled.