A variation of the popular Margarita, this one has Tamarind and does not have the salt that usually accompanies one.
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 4 1/2 cups
- Wet Tamarind – cut into cubes
- Cointreau – 1 part
- Tequila – 1 part
- Fresh Lime Juice – 1 part
- Ice Cubes
- Lime Slices to garnish
- Mix the sugar and water together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved and then leave to cool.
- In another saucepan combine the remaining water and the tamarind cubes until simmering.
- Remove and reserve for two hours until the tamarind is really soft.
- Transfer to a sieve with a bowl underneath and reserve the soaking liquid.
- Press the pulp through the sieve, using the back of a wooden spoon, into a different bowl.
- There should be 1 cup of the pulp. If not top up with the reserved soaking liquid.
- Blend half the ice cubes, lime juice, tamarind pulp and sugar syrup until slushy.
- Pour equal amounts into martini glasses.
- Repeat with the Cointreau, tequila and remaining ice, lime juice, tamarind pulp and sugar syrup, and top up.
- Garnish with lime slices.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !