4 Healthy firm bittergourds
1 pingpong sized ball tamarind
1 pingpong sized ball jaggery
1 onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
1/2 tsp. ginger grated
1/2 tsp. garlic crushed
1 stalk curry leaves
1 tsp. red chilli powder
1 tsp. dhania powder
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tbsp. peanuts crushed
1 tsp. black masala powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp. each mustard & cumin seeds
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. coriander leaves to garnish.
Salt for rubbing gourds
1. Scrape bittergourds lightly. Make vertical slits along each gourd.
2. Remove any ripe seeds. Run salt all over gourds. Keep aside for 1 hour.
3. Mash to pulp, remove and piths and seeds. Keep aside.
4. Wash well in running water.
5. Boil plenty of water, drop in washed gourds.
6. Boil uncovered till gourds are soft but not mushy.
7. Drain and wash well again. Pat dry on kitchen towel.
8. Mix all dry masalas and salt.
9. Add peanuts, ginger, garlic, and mix well.
10. Stuff each gourd with mixture. Cut into 1 inch thick slices.
11. Heat oil, add curry leaves, seeds, and allow to splutter.
12. Add asafoetida, stir, add onions, stir till transparent.
13. Soak tamarind and jaggery in 1/2 cup water till soft.
14. Add tomatoes, stir and add jaggery pulp.
15. Add gourd slices and = cup water.
16. Cover and cook till gravy gets thick, and oil starts to ooze.
Garnish with chopped coriander, serve hot with chappatis.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !