Alle Belle or Ale Bele is a delicious Goan style coconut and jaggery pancake. A popular sweet delicacy in Goan homes, the pancakes are made in a light batter and filled with a coconut/jaggery filling.
In some homes, they are made with coconut milk and coconut bits in them. It is a simple and easy to make dish that can be served as a teatime snack or as a dessert to any meal.
They are also known as Alebele.
Alle Belle Recipe
Ingredients for Alle Belle
- 3/4 cup Plain Flour
- a small pinch Baking Powder
- a small pinch Salt
- 1 Egg small
- 1/2 tblsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Water adjust as required
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 tblsp Jaggery
- 1 cup Coconut
How to make Alle Belle
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Beat the egg with sugar till frothy and pour the milk and water.
- Pour this over the flour and stir vigorously.
- Beat well till no lumps remain, for about a minute
- Keep the batter aside for 15 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease a medium frying pan lightly with butter and place over low-medium flame.
- Add 1 to 2 tblsp of batter into it and tilt to coat evenly.
- Cover and cook for a minute.
- Then remove the pancake from the pan and transfer to a plate.
- Repeat till all batter is used up.
- To make the filling, add jaggery and coconut to a pan and cook for 10 to 30 seconds.
- Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Place a little filling on each pancake and roll.