A tasty breakfast or a dinner dish, this delicious Tomato Uttapam is simple to make and is best served with sambar and chutney of choice. Also makes for a great evening time snack too.
Parboiled Rice – 2 cups
Urad Dal – 1 cup
Tomatoes – 4, chopped
Onion – 1, medium, chopped (optional)
Green Chillies – 3 to 4, minced (you can also use 2 to 3 tsp of Green Chilli Paste)
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chillies – 2, broken
Curry Leaves – handful, chopped
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Oil for frying
Salt as per taste
1. Separately soak the dal and rice for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Grind the dal to a smooth batter and keep aside.
3. Grind the rice to a dosa batter consistency.
4. Add the dal batter and mix well.
5. Keep aside for 3 to 4 hours.
6. Add the tomatoes, onions, green chillies, red chillies, asafoetida powder, curry leaves, coriander leaves and mix well.
7. Heat a nonstick tawa over medium flame.
8. Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread evenly.
9. Apply some oil around the edges and cook on both sides until golden brown.
11. Serve hot with sambar and chutney of choice.
Tip: You can also add the tomatoes, onions, chillies, asafoetida powder at step #3 if desired.