This South Indian style Onion Rice is a delicious and great option for a quick lunch, dinner or evening snack. Very simple to make with minimal ingredients, this onion rice also makes a great lunchbox item.
Mustard Seeds – little
Green Chillies – 2
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tblsp
Onions – 3, big, chopped
Tomato – 2, chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Cooked Rice – 1 cup
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Coriander Leaves – few, chopped
1. Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium flame.
2. Add the mustard seeds, green chillies, red chillies and stir-fry for 30 to 60 seconds or until mustard seeds start to splutter.
3. Add the onions and saute until golden brown.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook for another minute.
5. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and the cooked rice.
6. Stir to mix well.
7. Add salt and mix until all ingredients are evenly combined.
8. After 2 minutes, remove from flame.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Serve warm.
Note: The photograph of this recipe has been taken using a Asus Zenfone 5. The phone features a 8 megapixel camera with LED flash. In terms of the image quality, it is comparable to a medium-range digital camera. So you need not invest separately in one. The phone doubles up as an excellent device to take really, good pictures.
The camera application comes with a simple, clean layout and has a few options so feel free to experiment.