Simple, fresh and wholesome – is what you would use to sum up this Mediterranean Salsa in Spaghetti dish. Combining the fresh ingredients most commonly used in the Mediterranean region and a touch of Italy’s favourite, spaghetti, this 30 minute dinner is absolutely refreshing.
Who doesn’t like spaghetti? At the same time, versions of Arrabiata or the Alfredo, whilst being popular, become boring sometimes. Some of the best tasting foods are always simple in nature. While the spaghetti is boiling away, all you need to do is just keep roughly chopping away all the remaining ingredients together to make a saucy base and combine it with the pasta when done. Voila, the Mediterranean inspired salsa along with spaghetti is ready for a wonderful sit down family or date dinner.
Mediterranean Salsa in Spaghetti
Ingredients for Mediterranean Salsa in Spaghetti
- 200 g Spaghetti
- 300 g Ripe Tomatoes
- 12 numbers Black Olives whole
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil extra Virgin
- 1.5 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 30 g Parmesan/ Cheddar Cheese
- Handful Basil Leaves
How to make Mediterranean Salsa in Spaghetti
- Cook the spaghetti in a pan of boiling salted water for 12-15 minutes or until al dente, which means that it should be soft enough to eat, but still have a bit of bite and firmness to it.
- Chop the tomatoes. Crush the olives, then add the olives to the pile of tomatoes.
- Pick the basil leaves, reserving the smaller ones for later and throw the rest onto the pile.
- Peel, chop and add the garlic to the pile, then run your knife back and forth through all of the ingredients, chopping and mixing as you go, until you get a rough-looking salsa.
- Add a good 10 - 15 ml of extra virgin olive oil, the vinegar and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and keep chopping and mixing until well combined.
- Scoop out and reserve a cupful of the pasta cooking water, then drain the spaghetti in a colander.
- Pop the spaghetti in a large bowl, scrape in the salsa dressing, adding a splash of the reserved cooking water, if needed, to make a lovely loose sauce.
- Sprinkle over the reserved baby basil leaves and add a grating of cheese before serving.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !