Orange peels are rich in anti-oxidants and helps in digestion related issues. Normally these are thrown away but here is a recipe that helps you get the most from these rich peels. The Orange Peel Rasam is unique and flavourful. Serve with hot rice.
- Orange Peel – 1/2 cup
- Tamarind – Lemon Sized Ball
- Tomato – 1
- Rasam Powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – Few
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1 tsp
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice .
- Cut the orange skin into strips.
- heat a pan under medium flame.
- Add ghee or oil and roast the orange strips until crisp.
- Keep it aside.
- To the same pan, add the chopped tomato and cook until mushy.
- Add the tamarind water along with 2 cups of water and let it boil.
- Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and allow it to boil.
- Add the rasam powder and boil it.
- Add the cooked orange peels and simmer the flame.
- When it bubbles, switch off the flame.
- Heat a small pan and add oil or ghee to it.
- Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves in ghee and pour in on top of the rasam.
- Serve hot with rice and papad.