Nilgiri Chicken Korma is a popular and delicious dish from the hilly region of Nilgiris. This dish can be served with rice, roti or chapati.
Chicken – 500 gms, cleaned, washed, chopped
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 1/2 tsp
Tomato – 1, small, finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice – 3 tsp
Curry Leaves – handful
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
For the masala:
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Saunf – 1/2 tsp
Khus Khus (Gasa Gasa) – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
Cardamom – 1
Coconut – 2 to 3 tblsp, grated
Cashew Nuts – 3/4 tsp
Green Chillies – 2
Coriander Leaves – small handful, chopped
Mint Leaves – small handful, chopped
Water as required
1. Dry roast the cumin seeds, saunf, khus khus, cinnamon and cardamoms for a minute.
2. Remove, cool and grind to a fine paste with the other ingredients given for masala paste.
3. Heat little oil in a large pan over medium flame.
4. Fry the curry leaves for 30 seconds.
5. Add the onions and saute until golden.
6. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir well for a minute or two.
7. Add the tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
8. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Add the ground masala paste and cook for 5 minutes.
10. Add lemon juice and chicken peices.
11. Stir well and cook for a minute.
12. Pour 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water and cover the pan with a lid. Do not make it too watery.
13. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
14. Remove the lid and when the gravy is very thick, add a little water and stir gently.
15. Switch off the flame.
16. Serve with rice.