A popular and traditional Sindhi breakfast dish, Dal Pakwan is made during special occasions or festivals. A crispy fried puri cooked in a mildly spiced dal and served with green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
Maida (Plain Flour) – 3 cups
Cumin Seeds (Ajwain) – 1/2 tsp
Ghee (or Oil) – 2 to 3 tblsp
Salt as per taste
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil for deep frying
Chana Dal – 250 gms, soaked for 2 hours
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 5 to 6
Tomato – 1, chopped (optional)
Green Chillies – 4 to 5
Water – 3 cups
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 to 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Sweet Tamarind Chutney – little
Mint and Coriander Chutney – as required
Coriander Leaves – few
Dry Mango Powder
Garam Masala Powder
1. To make the pakwan, mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add enough water and knead to a semi-soft dough.
3. Make small balls and roll them into 6 to 8cm flat discs.
4. Lightly prick them with a fork and keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
6. Fry the prepared pakwans until golden and crisp.
7. Remove and drain excess oil.
8. Keep aside.
9. Drain the chana dal and keep aside.
10. Add enough water and pressure cook until soft.
11. Add turmeic powder and salt.
12. Mix well.
13. If needed, add some more water.
14. Place it over low flame and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes or until the dal has a slightly thick cosistency.
15. Remove and keep aside.
16. Heat ghee in a pan.
17. Saute the cumin seeds, green chillies and tomatoes for a minute.
18. Add curry leaves and stir-fry for another minute.
19. Pour this into the dal and stir gently.
20. Garnish with onions, coriander leaves, pinch of mango powder and garam masala powder.
21. Serve with sweet tamarind chutney, mint and coriander chutney and the pakwans.
This recipe has been provided by the good folks at Kailash Parbat. The restaurant is a renowned Indian vegetarian restaurant in New York. It is located at 99 Lexington Avenue, between 27th and 28th Streets, 212-679-4232, and is open Mon-Sun from Noon – 11pm. Happy hour Mon-Fri from 4pm – 7pm. Takeout, delivery and catering are all available.