Simple and easy to make, this eggless dates cake makes for a delicious tea time treat or a fitting end to a great meal. Dates are rich in Iron, vitamins and minerals. They are one of the most popular fruits in Middle East. Regular consumption of dates improves the digestive system, provides energy and because of its high iron content, it is good for those with low haemoglobin count.
Dates – 1 cup, finely chopped, seeds discarded
Plain Flour (Maida) – 5 cups + 1 tblsp
Butter – 2 1/2 cups
Milk – 3 cups
Condensed Milk – 750 to 800 ml
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 cup, powdered
Almonds and Walnuts – handful, chopped (optional)
Vanilla Essence – 2 tblsp
Cinnamon Powder – 2 to 3 tsp (optional)
Cake Tin – greased and sprinkled with a little flour
1. Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.
2. Sieve well.
3. Mix butter and sugar in another bowl.
4. Add 1 tblsp flour to the dates and mix well.
5. Add condensed milk to the sugar-butter mixture.
6. Add milk, flour mixture and vanilla essence.
7. Mix well.
8. Add the dates, almonds and walnuts and mix again.
9. Transfer this to a greased cake tin and place it in a preheated oven at 180C/360F for 10 to 20 minutes or until cooked and golden brown.
10. To check if the cake is done, insert a clean skewer/knife into the center and if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
11. Remove and cool.
12. Cut into slices and serve.
Note: If you do not have an oven, you can make it using a regular pan. Fill up a pan with clean sand and place it over medium flame. When the sand is heated through, place the baking tray on top, cover it with a lid and cook for 30 to 60 minutes.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !