This easy to make homemade caramel popcorn is the perfect treat for any occasion – party, weekends or evening teatime snacks.
Unpopped Popcorn – 150 gms (available in most major supermarkets)
Coconut oil – 2 tblsp
Sugar – 2 cups
Salt – 1 tsp
Golden Syrup – 2 tblsp
Water – 1/4 cup
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Sea Salt – as per taste (optional)
1. Heat coconut oil in a large pan with a lid.
2. Add the popcorn kernels and cover with the lid.
3. Shake the pan from time to time until all the popcorns have popped, about 10 minutes.
4. Transfer to a large bowl.
5. Heat another pan over medium flame.
6. Add the water, sugar, salt and golden syrup.
7. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring all the time.
8. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes over low flame, ensuring the sugar does not burn and does not stick to the bottom or crystalize.
9. Remove from flame and add the baking powder, stirring at once.
10. Pour this over the popcorn and toss well to coat evenly.
11. Allow it to cool and then serve as a snack.
Tip: If you are using sea salt, sprinkle it at step #10.