Toor Dal – 3/4 cup
Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
Dry Red Chillies – 8
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1inch piece, peeled
Garlic – 10, finely chopped
Sambar Onions (Shallots) – 1 cup, chopped
Oil – 1/4 cup
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes – 250 gms
Red Chilli Powder – 4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Curry Leaves – handful
Coconut – 1/2, grated
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup (or more as required)
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
1. Soak the dals for a minimum of 1 hour.
2. Then combine them together with ginger, cumin, dry red chillies and salt.
3. Grind to a thick paste.
4. Add 1/4 cup of chopped onions, garlic and grated coconut.
5. Mix well and make small balls of the mixture.
6. Steam cook the balls and keep aside in a warm place.
7. Heat oil in a broad vessel.
8. Add asafoetida powder, mustard seeds, fenugreek, onions and curry leaves.
9. Fry them for a minute or two or until the onions turn light brown.
10. Add tomatoes and tamarind extract.
11. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
12. Stir to mix well and bring to a boil.
13. Add the reserved balls and cook for 5 more minutes over low flame.
14. Remove when it starts to boil.
15. Serve hot with rice.
image credit: cilantroonline.com
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.