Mutter Paneer is a delicious preparation made from fresh green peas and paneer cubes. You will usually find this dish in a marriage and some other special occasion since both kids and adults love it equally. The paneer pieces need to be slightly fried before cooking to make it even more tempting and tasty.
The thickness of the gravy can be modified as per your requirement. Some people like to have it nice and thick especially when the plan is to have it with rotis or naans whereas you can also eat it with rice by making the gravy semi thick. The hotness of the spices blends so naturally with the paneer cubes that you can hardly stop yourself from over eating this awesome side dish.
Some people like to add potato pieces to this recipe whereas some might not like to bite potato assuming that it is a paneer cube. Add cream or cashew paste to it if you would like to give it a thicker, richer and creamier taste. However, the simple yet unique Mutter Paneer is a superb treat in itself which is liked even by those who are not ardent fans of paneer recipes.
Paneer is rich in proteins whereas green peas are also a rich source of protein. Therefore, you can readily add this to your diet it is protein deficient. Moreover, the numerous spices, veggies and other ingredients used in this dish not only improve its taste but also enhance its nutritional value. It can be eaten with vegetarian pulav or with jeera rice as well.
You need to use fresh homemade paneer in this recipe but paneer cubes sold in dairy shops and stores are not so bad if they are kept away from preservatives and additives. If fresh green peas are not available you can use frozen peas that are easily available in malls and groceries. Prepare this special dish for your loved ones and kids and enjoy the expression on their face as they devour it hungrily!
Ingredients for Mutter Paneer
- 200 grams Paneer
- 1 cup Green Peas cooked
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomatoes
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder roasted
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 5-6 tsp Oil
- to taste Salt
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
How to make Mutter Paneer
- Heat oil in a pan / kadhai.
- Cut paneer into small cubes.
- Fry over medium heat until light brown. Turn them while frying. Be very careful as it splatters.
- Keep aside the paneer pieces.
- Cut the onion, tomato and green chilli.
- Grind them to a fine paste.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and mix.
- Heat remaining oil and fry bay leaves and cloves for 30 secs.
- Add the ground paste and fry on medium heat until golden brown or when the oil starts separating from the mixture.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, black pepper powder, poppey seeds and salt. Mix well. Add green peas and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water just enough to make thick gravy. Bring the gravy to boil.
- Add paneer pieces. Stir well and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti, naan or rice