Onions – 2, thinly sliced
Butter – 25 gms
Lean Lamb – 750 gms, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Tomato – 1, large, thinly sliced
Salt – 1 tsp
Black Pepper – 1 tsp
Water – 225 ml
Parsley – 2 tblsp, finely chopped
Baklava Filo – 8 sheets
Unsalted Butter – 60 gms, melted
1. Heat butter in a large pan.
2. Fry the onions until soft and golden.
3. Add the lamb cubes to the pan.
4. Cover pan and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the tomato, salt, pepper and water.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer for about 60 minutes or until lamb is tender and most of the water has evaporated.
8. Remove from the heat.
9. Add parsley and keep aside to cool.
10. Open up one sheet of filo and brush with the melted butter.
11. Place another sheet of filo over the top.
12. Brush one half of this second sheet with butter and fold the 2 sheets over so that they are half their original size.
13. Place 1/4th of the meat mixture in the centre of the filo.
14. Fold the filo over in envelope-style to enclose the meat and brush the edges with butter to hold them down.
15. Continue with remaining meat and pastry until you have 4 parcels.
16. Brush the surface of each with any remaining butter.
17. Lightly grease 2 baking trays and place 2 parcels on each.
18. Place in a preheated oven to 180C/350F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
19. Remove from oven.
20. Serve with a salad of choice.