Milk – 500 ml
Almonds (Badam) – 12 to 13
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 2 to 3 tblsp
Saffron Strands – a pinch, mixed with 2 to 3 tblsp warm milk
Almonds & Pistachios – few, sliced
1. Soak the almonds (badam) for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Peel and grind to a fine paste.
3. Heat milk in a heavy-bottomed pan over low flame.
4. Keep stirring until the milk starts to thicken.
5. Add sugar and stir well until the sugar has dissolved.
6. Add the ground badam paste.
7. Stir for 2 to 4 minutes ensuring it does not stick to the bottom.
8. When the mixture starts to thicken, again, add the cardamom powder and the saffron strands mixture.
9. Stir well.
10. Remove from flame.
11. Garnish with sliced almonds and pistachios.
12. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tip: If the kheer is too thick, then add some milk.