Red Gram – 1 1/4 cups
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Salt to Taste
Butter – 1/4 cup
Onions – 3/4 cup, quartered
Away Seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Cream – 2 tbsp
Saffron – a pinch
1. Wash the dal 3 or 4 times in running water and soak for half an hour in cold water.
2. In a heavy pan boil 2 lt water.
3. Add the red gram and return to boil.
4. Remove the scum from the top.
5. Reduce the heat; add two-thirds of the turmeric powder.
6. Cover and cook until the gram is completely soft. Add salt.
7. In a separate pan, heat butter on a low flame.
8. Add onions and saute over medium heat.
9. Add the cumin seeds, the remaining turmeric powder and red chilli powder and stir.
10. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the cooked gram.
11. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Pour the cream-saffron mixture over the cooked gram and serve with boiled rice.