Chow-Chow – 2, medium sized
Garlic – 10 flakes
Onion – 1
Aniseed – 1/4 tsp, roasted and powdered
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt as required
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tblsp
Oil for frying
Mustard Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Black Gram Dal – 1/2 tsp
Broken Red Chilli – 1
Curry Leaves – few
1. Dry roast bengal gram dal till golden and crush coarsely.
2. Peel garlic, chop onions finely.
3. Scrape outer skin and cut chow-chow into medium sized pieces.
4. Heat oil in a shallow pan, add seasoning and then the onion.
5. Fry for 2 minutes, add chow-chow pieces and stir for another minute.
6. Add just enough water, turmeric powder, aniseed powder, salt, chilli powder, garlic pieces and cook till vegetable becomes tender. Close with a lid.
7. When vegetable is 3/4th cooked and the moisture is still there, add bengal gram powder and close the lid again. Reduce again.
8. Cook till dal becomes soft, sprinkle little water if necessary.
9. When moisture is fully gone, remove from fire.