A delicious Portuguese style peri peri chicken burger ideal for a quick lunch, dinner or weekend party night.
Chicken Thigh Fillets – 2, trimmed
Plain Yogurt – 2 tblsp
Mayonnaise – 1/4 cup
Tomato – 1, sliced
Lettuce Leaves – few
Red Onions – 1, sliced
Red Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
Olive Oil – 1 tblsp
Burger Buns – 2, halved
For the Peri Peri Sauce:
Red Chilli – 1, large
Red Capsicum – 1, medium, chopped
Garlic – 2 to 3 cloves
Oil – 2 tblsp
Malt Vinegar – 2 tblsp
Red Chilli Powder – 3 tsp
Dried Oregano – 2 tsp
Onions – 1, small, chopped
Sugar – 1/3 tsp
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Black Pepper Powder – a pinch
Red Food Colour – few drops (optional)
1. Combine all the ingredients for the peri peri sauce in a mixer jar.
2. Blend them together until smooth.
3. Transfer half of the sauce to a re-sealable bag.
4. Add the chicken fillets and seal the bag.
5. Toss well until the chicken fillets are coated.
6. Keep the bag in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
7. Combine 1/4 of the remaining sauce, yogurt and mayonnaise in a bowl.
8. Keep this in the fridge until required.
9. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium flame.
10. Remove the chicken from the bag, drain any excess marinade and add to the pan.
11. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes each side or until cooked through and browned.
12. Remove and transfer to a plate.
13. Place the burger buns on a flat surface.
14. Add the lettuce and tomato slices on one half.
15. Add the chicken, onions and spread a little of the sour cream mixture.
16. Drizzle some of the remaining peri peri sauce.
17. Cover with the other half.
18. Serve with potato wedges or fries.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !