Adai is a popular & healthy South Indian food typically served as a breakfast or evening dish with a choice of chutney or sambar.
Sweet Corn Kernels – 1/2 cup
Parboiled Rice – 1 cup
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Oil – 2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1 1/2 to 2 tsp, chopped
Salt as per taste
Mustard Seeds – little
Curry Leaves – little
Asafoetida – little
Onion – 1, medium, chopped
1. Soak the rice, sweet corn and dry red chillies for 15 to 30 minutes.
2. Combine them together and add salt.
3. Mix well and grind to a coarse batter.
4. Add coriander leaves and mix well.
5. Heat little oil in a pan.
6. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida for 30 seconds.
7. Add the onions and saute for a minute.
8. Add this to the batter and mix well.
9. Heat a tawa over medium flame.
10. Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread evenly.
11. Apply oil around the edges and cook on both sides until golden.
12. Remove and serve hot with chutney and sambar or idli milagai podi (idli chilli powder).