A traditional Rajasthani dish, Bati (or commonly known as Rajasthani Bati) is made with wheat flour and ghee. Wheat balls baked in an oven, dipped in ghee and served with Rajasthani Dal.
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Ghee – 1/4 cup, melted
Ajwain (Carom Seeds) – 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
1. Mix the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
2. Add 3 tblsp of ghee and mix well until it resembles bread crumbs.
3. Add the carom seeds and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.
4. Knead well to make a stiff, pliable dough.
5. Make medium size balls of the dough and place them on a baking tray lined with sheet.
6. Place it in a preheated oven at 200C/400F and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they start to turn light brown.
7. Reduce temperature to 180C/360F and bake for another 15 to 30 minutes or until crispy and fully cooked.
8. Remove the batis and soak them in the ghee for 60 to 90 minutes.
9. Remove and serve at once.
If you do not have an Oven, then follow the steps below:
Follow steps #1 to #4 from above.
4. Bring a large pot of water to boil.
5. Drop the balls and simmer until they float to the top.
6. Drain well and keep aside.
7. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
8. Deep fry the balls until light golden brown.
9. Remove, drain excess oil and serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !