A simple, delicious and tasty evening snack, best served with chutney of choice.
Black Urad Dal – 3 cups, broken
Green Chillies – 3 to 4, depending on size
Cabbage – 1 cup, chopped or shredded
Carrot – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Onions – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Ginger – 2 tsp, peeled, grated
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Curry Leaves – handful, chopped
Asafoetida Powder – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil as required for frying
1. Soak the dal for 2 hours.
2. Drain, rinse and wash well.
3. Combine with salt and green chillies. Grind to a thick batter.
4. Add the cabbage, carrot, onions, ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and asafoetida powder.
5. Mix well.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
7. Take small portions of the batter and flatten them lightly on your palms.
8. Gently slide/drop them into the hot oil.
9. Fry on both sides until light golden brown.
10. Remove and drain excess oil.
11. Serve hot/warm with chutney of choice.