Bombay Kaja is a popular dessert/sweet made during Diwali and other festivals.
Maida – 500 gms, sieved
Ghee – 900 gms
Sugar – 750 gms
Rice Flour – 50 gms + some more for dusting
Cooking Soda – a pinch
Water as required
Kesari Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Mix cooking soda with 2 tblsp ghee and add to the maida.
2. Gradually add water and mix well.
3. Add kesari powder and knead well to a poori dough consistency.
4. Add 1 tblsp ghee to 50 gms rice flour and mix well.
5. Add sugar to a pan of water and bring to a boil till it reaches a one string consistency. Remove and keep aside.
6. Make small balls of the dough and roll them into small puris.
7. Spread 1 tsp of the rice flour mixture and shape into a triangle or fold them into rolls.
8. Dust this well in the rice flour.
9. Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame.
10. Fry the prepared triangles on both sides till light golden brown.
11. Remove and put this into the sugar syrup.
12. Ensure it is fully immersed and transfer to a plate.
13. Sprinkle with some sugar and serve.