Balti Murgh is a very popular chicken dish in North India, Pakistan and Afghanistan. A quintessential dish of the Pakistani & Afghani cuisine, it is made with tender pieces of chicken, capsicum and onion tossed in fresh herbs and spices cooked in kadai.
Served as a side dish to roti, naan or fried rice, the dish is a restaurant favorite.
Balti Murgh Recipe
Ingredients for Balti Murgh
- 250 g Chicken Breasts cleaned, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tblsp Oil
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 Red Capsicum large, cored, de-seeded, sliced
- 1/2 tblsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tblsp Fresh Cream
- 3/4 tblsp Methi Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Kalonji (Onion Seeds)
- as per taste Salt
How to make Balti Murgh
- Heat oil in a heavy kadai over moderate flame.
- Saute onions, kalonji and curry leaves for 2 minutes.
- Reduce flame.
- Add coriander powder, garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chicken pieces and salt.
- Stir-fry for 10 minutes.
- Add methi leaves, capsicum and stir to mix well.
- Add water as required. If you want it to be more gravy-like, then add little bit extra water else add some for the cooking process.
- Allow it to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add lemon juice and cook till chicken pieces are tender.
- Garnish with fresh cream.
- Serve hot with fried rice, naan or roti.