skinned chicken thighs, each cut into 2 peices – 1 1/4 lb
Ground turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1 1/4 tbsp
fresh ginger, peeled & finely chopped – 3″
Vegetable Oil – 4-5 tbsp
dried chillies, broken into 2or 3 pieces – 1-2
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Urad dal – 3/4 tsp
Fennel seeds -1/2 tsp
Small sticks cinnamon- 2
garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped – 5-6
onion, peeled & sliced in fine rings – 1
medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped – 2
cayenne pepper – 1/2 tsp
lots of freshly ground black pepper
coriander to garnish.
1. Put the chicken pieces into a bowl and add the turmeric and 1 tsp salt.
2. Chop the ginger finely and put into a blender along with about 2 tbsps water.Blend to a paste. Squeeze the juice through a strainer over the chicken, discarding the pulp. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours but preferably overnight.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat. When hot add the chillies, mustard seeds, urad dal , fennel and cinnamon. Stir for a few seconds until the mustard seeds pop.
4. Add the garlic and stir, then add the onion and stir and saute until soft and just starting to brown. Add the tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the chicken and its marinade, cayenne pepper and the remaining salt. Stir and fry on a high heat for about 6 minutes until browned. Cover, turn heat to low and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove the cover and sprinkle in the black pepper. If there is any liquid left turn up the heat and dry off before serving. Sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander.