Fresh Rose Petals – 450 gms, red and with a strong fragrance
Juice of 2 Lemons
Water – 600 ml
Sugar – 450 gms
Rosewater – 3 to 4 tblsp, depending on strength
1. Wash the rose petals and put them in a large bowl.
2. Squeeze half the lemon juice over and keep aside for 10 minutes.
3. Put the rose petals into a large pan with any of the lemon juice left in the bowl.
4. Add water and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer until the petals are tender.
6. Depending on the petals, this process may take anything from 10 minutes to 60 minutes.
7. Add sugar and remaining lemon juice.
8. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously until the sugar dissolves.
9. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the syrup thickens or for about 10 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and stir in the rosewater.
11. Keep aside for a few minutes adn then skim off any scum on the surface.
12. After about 15 minutes stir and then pour into warm sterilized jars.
13. Close with a lid when cold.
14. Use as required.