Tapioca Crackers – 20, dried
Vegetable Oil for deep frying
Garlic Cloves – 2, sliced
Shallots (Small Onions) – 5, thinly sliced
Chicken or Prawn Mince – 100 gms
Peanuts – 1/2 cup, roasted and roasted
Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp, chopped
Fish Sauce – 3 tsp
Sugar – 3/4 tsp
Black Pepper – freshly ground
1. Heat oil for deep frying in a large pan.
2. Fry the tapioca crackers over high heat until they puff up and turn crisp, for about 40 seconds.
3. Remove and drain excess oil.
4. Pour off the oil and return 1/2 cup to pan.
5. Fry the garlic and shallots until crisp and golden brown.
6. Remove and drain.
7. Drain the oil from the pan.
8. Wipe and return 1 tblsp of oil.
9. Fry the mince over a high heat until it is browned and almost crisp.
10. Add peanuts and herbs.
11. Add fish sauce, sugar and black pepper.
12. Add in the crisp garlic and shallots.
13. Place a spoonful of the filling on each cracker.
14. Serve at once.