Oil – 4 tblsp
Garlic Cloves – 4 to 6
Mustard Seeds – a pinch
Cumin Seeds – a pinch
Curry Leaves – 8
Whole Dried Red Chillies – 4
Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp, finely chopped
1. Wash the dal and cook it with the 1 1/2 cups of water, onion, tomatoes, garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cumin seeds till tender.
2. Add the salt when dal is cooked.
3. Cool and blend the ingredients nicely.
4. Return it to the pan on moderate heat.
5. Heat the oil in a small pan on moderate heat.
6. When hot, add the garlic cloves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and dried red chillies.
7. When the garlic begins to turn colour, pour it on to the dal.
8. Stir well.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Serve hot.