Refined Flour – 2 cups
Baking Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Cocoa Powder – 2 tbsp
Eggs – 6
Sugar – 2/3 cup
Strawberry or Orange Essence – 1/4 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/4 tsp
Red or Orange Food Colour – a few drops
Vinegar – 1 tbsp
1. Grease a 12 inch baking tin and dust lightly with flour. Keep aside.
2. Sift the refined flour with baking powder and baking soda together.
3. Divide the mixture into 2 halves.
4. Add the cocoa powder to one half of the flour mixture and sift this mixture again.
5. Beat the eggs with sugar, over a pan of hot water till thick and creamy.
6. Divide the egg mixture into 2 halves.
7. Fold in the cocoa mixture into one half of the egg mixture, a few tbsp at a time.
8. Add 2 tbsp of water if necessary, to obtain a dropping consistency.
9. Stir in the vanilla essence and vinegar.
10. Fold in the plain flour mixture into the other half of the egg mixture, a few tbsp at a time.
11. Add water, if necessary, to obtain a dropping consistency.
12. Stir in the strawberry or orange essence and red orange food colour.
13. Drop alternate spoonfuls of the cocoa and the plain flour mixture into the greased tin.
14. Run a knife back and forth through the mixture to give a marbled effect.
15. Bake at 180C for about 45 minutes, or till the cake is well risen.
16. Cut into slices and serve.