Black Gram – 1/2 cup, split, washed
Flour (Maida) – 1/2 cup, sieved
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Semolina – 1 cup
Water – 3/4 cup
Ginger – 1 tbsp, chopped
Green Chillies – 2 tsp, chopped
Onion Seeds – a pinch
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Garam Masala – a pinch
Vegetable Soda – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 4 tsp
Oil for frying
1. Pick, wash and soak the split black gram in water for 45 minutes.
2. Mix the flour, salt and semolina.
3. Add water ad make medium strong dough.
4. Flatten the dough with wet fingertips and divide into 16 equal parts.
5. For the filling, grind the drained gram, ginger and green chillies to a paste.
6. Add onion seeds, asafoetida, garam masala and vegetable soda.
7. Divide into 16 equal parts.
8. Flatten one part of the dough and place one part of the filling in it.
9. Shape into a ball.
10. Roll out each ball to a diameter of 5cm, using oil.
11. Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown.
12. Drain excess oil and serve hot.