Murgh Kali Mirch (Black Pepper Chicken) is a popular Indian dish that is served in most restaurants. It is a spicy, tangy dish with a rich flavor of black pepper and garlic.
The dish has its origins in the Indian state of Kerala where it was traditionally prepared with curry leaves and coconut milk. However, over time as the dish became popular across India and abroad, different variations were introduced to suit regional tastes.
There are many variations of this dish that are popular around the world today but they all have one thing in common – they taste best when they are served hot!
Serve it as a side dish with rice, naan or roti.
Murgh Kali Mirch (Black Pepper Chicken) Recipe
Ingredients for Murgh Kali Mirch (Black Pepper Chicken)
- 500 g Chicken skinned, chopped
- 1 to 2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/4 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 to 3 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Green Chilli slit
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- as per taste Salt
- handful Coriander Leaves chopped
How to make Murgh Kali Mirch (Black Pepper Chicken)
- Combine the ginger garlic paste, pepper powder and garam masala powder in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well.
- Keep aside for 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the green chillies and whole black peppercorns for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and saute until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and fry for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ensure the chicken is well coated with the masala.
- Add salt and stir again.
- Sprinkle a little water and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook on low flame for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with roti, naan or paratha.
Add some more water if you want the dish to be a bit more gravy and not dry.