Split Green Gram – 250 gms, soaked for 1/2 hour, washed
Sal to Taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, peeled, sliced
Green Cardamoms – 3
Cloves – 4
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Asafoetida – A Pinch
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 1 tsp, thinly sliced
Jimmu, Optional – 1/2 tsp
1. Heat 5 cups water and salt, turmeric powder, ginger, green cardamoms and cloves.
2. When the water boils, add the drained split green gram.
3. Cook till done. Remove and keep aside to cool.
4. Remove the ginger, cloves and green cardamoms.
5. Strain the mixture through a thick cloth, pushing with a ladle.
6. The strained mixture should be thick and smooth.
7. Heat the ghee, temper with asafoetida, cumin seeds and garlic.
8. When the garlic turns brown, add the jimmu.
9. Pour the mixture over the green gram and serve hot.