Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Black Peppercorns – 8
Seeds from Green Cardamom Pods – 2
Cinnamon Stick – 2 inch piece
Oil – 2 tblsp
Green Chilli – 1, chopped
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Potatoes – 2, cut into 1 inch chunks
Cauliflower – 225 gms, broken into florets
Okra – 225 gms, trimmed and thinly sliced
Plain Yogurt – 150 ml
Vegetable Stock – 150 ml
Toasted Almonds – to garnish
Fresh Coriander Sprigs – to garnish
1. Grind the cumin seeds and peppercorns, cardamom seeds, cinnamon stick and nutmeg to a fine powder using a spice blender or a pestle and mortar.
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan and fry the chilli and ginger for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
3. Add the chilli powder, salt and ground spice mixture and fry for about 2-3 minutes, stirring all the time to prevent the spices from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
4. Stir in the potatoes, cover and cook for 10 minutes over a low heat, stirring from time to time.
5. Add the cauliflower and okra and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the yogurt and stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat.
7. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
8. Garnish with the toasted almonds and the coriander sprigs.