Bitter Gourd – 1/4 kg
Onions – 2, big
Tamarind – small lemon sized
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – as required
Jaggery or Sugar – as required
Oil for frying
Fry in oil and then Grind Together:
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 1/2 tblsp
Red Chillies – 10
Garlic – 3 flakes
Small Onion – 3 to 4, peeled
Dry Coconut – 2 tblsp, grated
1. Chop onions finely and bitter gourd into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Soak bitter gourd pieces in the water in which rice is washed, for half an hour.
3. Wash well and cook in thin tamarind water with little turmeric and salt.
4. When gourd is soft to touch, drain water completely.
5. Heat little oil and fry bengal gram, red chillies, coconut. Add garlic, onion at the end and fry for a minute. Grind to a smooth paste with little water.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry chopped onions and bitter gourd together in medium flame stirring constantly till gourd changes colour.
7. Add ground paste, jaggery and salt.
8. Fry well and remove from fire.