Chicken – 500 gms
Basmati rice – 1 1/2 cups, washed, soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained
Water – 3 cups
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Bay leaf – 1
Cloves – 2
Cardamoms – 2
Black peppercorns – 5
Yogurt – 1 tbsp
Ginger-Garlic – 1 tbsp, chopped
Green chilli – 1, big
Coriander leaves – 1/2 tbsp, chopped
Onion – 1
Hot water – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Fried cashew nuts – for garnishing
fried onion rings – for garnishing
Ghee – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Wheat flour – to seal the edges
1. Pour 3 cups of water in a large pot.
2. Add to this, the rice, salt and half of all the spices.
3. Mix all these ingredients well. Cook the rice till it is half done.
4. Drain away the entire water, spread the rice on a plate and allow it to cool.
5. Take the onions and chop them into fine slices. Also, slit the green chillies.
6. Put ghee in another pan and heat it.
7. Wait till the ghee starts bubbling. Then add the remaining spices to it and saute till it gives out an aroma.
8. Next, take the chopped onions and add it to the pan. Saute till it turns golden brown in colour.
9. Add the chicken pieces, masala powders, green chilli, coriander leaves, ginger-garlic, salt and sugar.
10. Pour the hot water into it.
11. Mix it well. Cover it, simmer and cook for the next 20 minutes or until the chicken pieces become soft.
12. Next, pour the yogurt. Simmer and wait till the gravy thickens.
13. Take another big pot and grease with melted ghee or butter.
14. Arrange the rice and the chicken in layers in the pot. Arrange them in alternate layers till the entire amount of rice and chicken has been used.
15. Cover the pot with a lid. Make dough from wheat flour and use it to seal the edges of the lid.
16. Place a tawa on the flame and put the sealed pot on the tawa. This is done to ensure that the pot is not on the direct flame.
17. Cook the rice on a low flame for the next 25 minutes or till the rice is fully cooked.
18. Alternately, the biryani can be baked in a preheated oven at 375F or 185C for 15 to 20 minutes.
19. Garnish with fried cashew nuts and fried onion rings.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !