1/2 cup Mung dal (green gram)
2 tbsp Gram flour (besan)
1-2 tbsp Rice flour
1 Onion, finely chopped
4 Green chillies, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped Fenugreek leaves (Vendhaya Keerai/Methi)
1 tsp Salt (to taste)
Oil for deep frying
1. Wash dal and soak in 1 cup water for 1 hour. Drain and grind to make a smooth dough, gradually adding 2-3 tbsp water.
2. Stir gram flour, rice flour, onion, green chillies, fenugreek leaves and salt into dough.
3. Mix well.
4. Add up to 1 tbsp water if necessary. The dough should be firm.
5. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
6. Shape dough into small lime sized balls. Slip 6-8 bonda in hot oil.
7. Lower heat to moderate and fry in batches, turning frequently, till golden brown and crisp.
8. Drain and place on kitchen paper to absord excess oil.
Serve hot with chutney.
Note: Do not add too much water while making the dough. It will then become hard to shape the dough. In case it is not firm enough to shape, add extra rice flour to thicken it.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !