Green Papaya – 1
Coconut – 4 tsp, grated
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Moong Dal – 1 cup
Asafoetida Powder – little
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – few
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Tomato – 1, finely chopped
Yogurt or Buttermilk – 3/4 cup, mixed with 1/4 cup water
1. Peel the papaya and chop into small pieces.
2. Add salt and boil until tender.
3. Dry roast the moong dal and pressure cook until mushy.
4. Grind the red chillies, cumin seeds and coconut to a fine paste.
5. Combine this with the papaya, moong dal and asafoetida powder in a pan.
6. Place over medium flame and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Add a little water if too thick.
7. Fry the mustard seeds and urad dal in little oil.
8. Add to the kootu and stir well.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Serve hot with rice or chapati.
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.