Rice – 1 cup
Urad Dal – 3/4 cup
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – 3 tblsp, chopped
Oil for deep frying
Oil – 1 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Onion – 2, finely chopped
Coconut – 1/2 cup, grated
1. Combine rice and dal.
2. Wash well and soak in water for 3 hours.
3. Drain and grind to a smooth, stiff batter, adding 1/2 cup of water.
4. Heat oil for tempering in a frying pan.
5. Add mustard seeds.
6. When they start spluttering, add curry leaves and onions.
7. Saute them for a minute or two.
8. Mix in coconut and fry for 2 more minutes.
9. Add the contents of the pan to the batter along with salt and coriander leaves.
10. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
11. Shape the batter into small lime-sized balls.
12. Slip them into hot oil and deep fry the seeyams in batches, turning frequently till golden brown and crisp.
13. Drain and place on kitchen paper.
14. Serve hot.