Kothu Parotta is a very popular South Indian dish. It is a simple dish made using shredded parottas with an assortment of vegetables & spices. Typically this is made using left over parottas and is a very popular street food across Tamil Nadu. Madurai Kothu Parotta is a very famous regional variation of this dish.
- Parotta – 5 (leftover or cooked)
- Onions – 2
- Mashed Tomatoes – 1/2 cup
- Capsicum – 1/2 cup
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilly – 1
- Eggs – 2 (optional)
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Coriander Leaves – To Garnish
- Chop the cooked parotta’s into strips.
- Heat a pan over medium flame.
- Temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Add the finely chopped ginger and garlic and fry.
- Chop the onions finely and add them to the pan.
- Saute till golden brown.
- Add the chopped capsicum and mix it.
- Add the mashed tomatoes and cook till oil separates from it.
- Add the chaat masala powder, garam masala powder, salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add the chopped parotta pieces and mix till it is nicely blended with the onion tomato mixture.
- Once the parotta absorbs all the spice masala to it, if needed eggs could be broken and added at this stage.
- Mix continuously until the eggs are scrambled.
- Remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with raita.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !