Gotsu is a popular side dish served with Pongal. This variation is made with slightly ripened mangoes and can be served with dosas, rotis or rice items.
Mangoes – 2, (not fully ripened)
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Dry Red Chilles – 10 to 12
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Tamarind Water – 1 cup
Oil – as required
Salt as per taste
1. Peel the mangoes and dice them into small pieces.
2. Heat a pan over medium flame.
3. Fry the dal, coriander seeds, red chillies and frenugreek seeds.
4. Remove, cool and grind to a fine powder.
5. Now add a little oil to the pan.
6. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida powder for 30 seconds.
7. Add the mango pieces, tamarind water, salt, ground powder and turmeric powder.
8. Mix well and cook for a few minutes, about 6 to 10 minutes.
9. If it is too thick, add some more water.
10. Remove and serve with rotis, dosas or rice items.