Virudhunagar Mutton Chukka (or Virudhunagar Mutton Sukka) is a popular dry (sometimes slightly gravy) mutton dish served as a side dish or appetizer. This dish is very popular in Virudhunagar district in South India and hence is named after the place.
Mutton – 100 gms, boneless, chopped
Shallots (Sambar Onions) – 100 gms, chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 to 3 tblsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tblsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Gingelly Oil – 1 tblsp
Curry Leaves – handful
Coriander Leaves – handful
Dry Red Chillies – 1 to 2
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Add the dry red chillies, curry leaves and onions.
3. Saute for a minute.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and saute until onions turn golden.
5. Add the mutton pieces, red chilli powder and stir well.
6. Sprinkle a little water and cook for a few minutes or until the meat is cooked.
7. Add salt and cumin powder.
8. Stir well.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves.