A delicious and popular starter/appetizer dish suited for most meals. Bite-sized pieces of fish fillets are marinated in an assortment of spices and then grilled to perfection. Best served alongside roti, naan or paratha with mint chutney.
Fish Fillets – 200 to 250 gms, skinless, cut into small pieces
Plain Yogurt – 1/4 cup
Mango Pickle (or Green Chilli Pickle) – 1 tsp
Butter – 2 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 tblsp
Saunf – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Salt as per taste
Wooden Skewers – 2 to 3, soaked in water for 30 minutes
1. Dry roast and grind the fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and saunf to a fine powder.
2. Add the fish fillets to a large bowl.
3. Add the ground powder, pickle, lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and yogurt.
4. Mix well until the fillets are evenly coated.
5. Keep aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle a bit of coriander leaves and toss gently.
7. Thread the fillets onto the skewers.
8. Place them on a preheated grill pan over medium flame.
9. Grill the fish tikkas for 5 to 10 minutes on each side, turning them from time to time and frequently basting them with butter.
10. When the fillets are slightly charred and cooked through, remove and transfer to a serving plate.
11. Serve alongside rotis, naans or parathas with mint chutney.
Tip: You can also cook the tikkas in a preheated oven at 200C/400F for 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !