A non-vegetarian variation to the regular idlis, these are best served with coconut chutney.
Shrimps – 200 gms, small, peeled, deveined, washed, drained, chopped
Parboiled Rice – 1 cup
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup, split
Salt as per taste
Dried Red Chillies – 2, powdered
Coriander Leaves – few
Oil – 2 tblsp
1. Wash the rice 2 to 3 times and drain well.
2. Pour 3 cups of water and soak for 8 hours.
3. Wash the dal and soak in 2 cups of water for 8 hours.
4. Drain the rice and dal. Grind them separately to a smooth paste.
5. Mix them together.
6. Add some water if required to make a semi-thick batter.
7. Keep aside for 8 hours to ferment.
8. Add the shrimps, salt, red chillies and coriander leaves to the batter.
9. Mix well.
10. Pour the batter into greased idli molds and steam cook until done.
11. Serve with coconut chutney.