Baingan Bharta is a popular Punjabi dish where baingan (eggplant / brinjal) is roasted, mashed and cooked with tomatoes, onion, ginger, garlic and spices.
The main highlight of this dish is the smoky flavour of the brinjal. In most Indian households, brinjal is roasted over a gas flame or stovetop until the skin is nicely charred.
It is a great dish to have on it own or as a side dish with rice, roti, poori or paratha.
Baingan Bharta Recipe
Ingredients for Baingan Bharta
- 1 Brinjal (Eggplant) large
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 Onion peeled, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves peeled, minced
- 1/2 inch Ginger peeled, grated
- 1 Green Chilli minced
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powde
- 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 cup Peas cooked
- 2 Tomatoes peeled, chopped
- handful Coriander Leaves
- as per taste Salt
How to make Baingan Bharta
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Prick the eggplant with a fork in a couple of places and place it on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the eggplant is tender and skin begins to char.
- Remove and cool.
- Carefully peel and discard the skin.
- Chop the pulp and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium flame.
- Saute the chopped onions and minced garlic for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the ginger, green chillies and cook for a minute more.
- Saute until the onions are golden.
- Now add the cumin powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, salt, peas and tomatoes.
- Mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the brinjal and coriander leaves.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.