White Poppy Seeds – 3 tblsp
Vegetable Oil – 3 to 4 tblsp
Potatoes – 675 gms, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Black Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onion Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried Red Chillies – 1 or 2, chopped or broken into small pieces
Ground Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Warm Water – 2/3 cups
Fresh Coriander Sprigs to garnish
Plain Yogurt – to serve
1. Preheat a large pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, reduce the heat slightly and add the poppy seeds. Stir them around in a pan until they are just a shade darker. Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
2. In the pan, heat the vegetable oil over a medium heat and fry the cubes of potato until they are light brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain.
3. To the same oil, add the mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to pop, add the onion, cumin and fennel seeds and the chillies. Let the chillies blacken, but remove them from the pan before they burn.
4. Stir in the turmeric and follow quickly with the fried potatoes and salt. Stir well and add the warm water.
5. Cover the pan with the lid and reduce the heat to low.
6. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
7. Grind the cooled poppy seeds.
8. Stir the ground seeds into the potatoes. It should form a thick paste and should cling to the potatoes.
9. If there is too much liquid, continue to stir over a medium heat until you have the right consistency.
10. Transfer to a serving dish.
11. Garnish with coriander and serve with the yogurt and pooris.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !